Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Midwives giving bad advice?

It seems to me that there are alot of woman on here that ask questions about pregnancy, and in the question you find out they have a midwife that is either not listening or giving bad advice. I had a midwife with my first pregnancy and it was horrible. After that I never went to a midwife again with my pregnancies and come to find out the doctor that supervised the midwife I was seeing had fired every single one of them. I just am a little concerned with woman that go to see a midwife and don't really know much about it and wind up being put in a bad position. Does anybody else feel the same way or have ever had a bad experience with a midwife?Midwives giving bad advice?
i understand what you mean, its scary that i feel i can get advice more on here than i can my midwife, unless its an emergency i would never ring my midwife, i prefer to see the doctor, i feel i cant talk to her as she has sooooo many patients, sometimes i feel my worries are trivial and silly. i also feel like i dont have much support from the midwife, this too is my first pregnancy and i see my midwife once every 6 weeks, a lot can happen inbetween appointments! and a lot of questions slip your mind.Midwives giving bad advice?
It is not the position they hold it is the person. Some Doctors are horrible and some are wonderful, same goes for midwives.


That being said, the type of person (in America at least) who goes to a midwife likes to have a less intrusive birthing process and depend more on instinct. However, if instinct is telling you something is wrong, then they (midwife or dr) should look into it.





If I was not high-risk I would love to go to a midwife, but I also know a lot about pregnancy and my needs during it so I won't blindly listen to anyone (much to my old dr's annoyance:-).
Wow, I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. In my situation, I had bad doctors but loved my midwives. Now, as a labor nurse, where I work I can say I love the midwives I work with and trust their judgment, they have excellent clinical knowledge and wonderful bedside manner with the women and families they care for. Can't say the same thing about all the docs I work with.





I think it's all individual, depends on the person. If you have midwife or doctor you don't trust, then you should switch, and it's never too late. You need to have someone providing care that you trust and are comfortable with.
I go to a group practice or what not so i see a different midwife every time who assist the doctors or however that works. Anyway, 2 out of the 3 midwives have hit my bad side to where I wanted to just slap them. The two of them, whenever I ask questions, just respond with ';that's normal'; and don't help, almost belittling me or making me feel like they get asked the same things so much Im just another patient, another pregnant woman. I want something more personal... which is what I thought a midwife would provide.
I know women who have had bad experiences with midwives and some who have had great ones. I myself had a horrible one as well. My midwife refused to do any tests until I was passed 17 weeks pregnant. Meaning no listening to the heartbeat on doppler, she didn't listen when I complained of cramping, it went in one ear and out the other. I lost my baby at 11.5 weeks I found out at 17.5 and had to have a D%26amp;C at 19 weeks. They could have caught it sooner if she had tried the doppler on my baby, or if she investigated the horrible cramps I was having. She instead told me it's normal and everything is fine.





I'm with a doctor now because I'm high risk and midwives won't see me, but if I could have it my way I would go back to a midwife, just because one was horrible doesn't mean all at the office are.

No comments:

Post a Comment