Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Need advice! I want to be an elementary teacher, but I also want more tattoos. Is this a bad idea?

I already have a yin-yang on my ankle. And I wanted more. Should I not get anymore because I want to become a teacher?Need advice! I want to be an elementary teacher, but I also want more tattoos. Is this a bad idea?
Maybe just be able to cover them. Ok, here's a story. When my son was in the second grade, his teacher was a young, very pretty woman with a tattoo on her ankle. Well, one day the kids saw it. It was the cutest, funniest thing because that's all they talked about for a while, ';Miss Jones has a tattoo!';. I'm not aware that any parents cared and maybe I only knew about it because I volunteered in that room and heard the story and the kids talking.


It was equally a big deal when they found out she was engaged. Kids at that age don't think teachers are real people outside the classroom environment, with a life outside of being with them!Need advice! I want to be an elementary teacher, but I also want more tattoos. Is this a bad idea?
I had the exact same worry...and I still do. But I've just resigned myself to wearing long sleeves year round or investing in some serious cover up make up. If they can't see them you're fine. They can't ask you if you have any hidden under your clothes anyway. Just position them somewhere you're comfortable always having covered or understand that you might be passed over for a job or two.
I teach at a middle school, and I have many tattoos, I have never once heard any complaints from parents , students, or anyone that I work with on a daily basis. Some of the students get a little curious and start asking questions, but I change the subject to something else. I think because of my tattoos, some students think that its easier to come to me with problems than the other more ';uptight'; teachers....of course most of my tattoos are covered, but there are a few that I just cannot hide, and none of them are in any way offensive to anyone...so I see no problem in any of it!! Oh and by the way I was hired with all these tattoos!!
I don't think that there is anything wrong with you getting more tattoos. Just be sure that they are in appropriate places and/or cannot be seen by people unless you want them to see them. Places like the calf, upper arm, forearm, back of the shoulders, your back-these places are hard for most people to see unless you actually show them the art work. Besides, the kids of today are much more advanced than when I was going to elementary school-they might actually think that it makes you ';cool'; Good luck!!
no i dont think getting a tattoo is a bad idea. As long as you dont have one tattoo'd on ur face, who cares. Go 4 it.
depends where u put it
Get all that you can fit under your shirt and will be covered by your work pants and/or skirts. Anything more than that will get the parents' noses out of joint.
i think its totally fine. although getting an inappropriate tattoo is obviously going to lessen your chance of getting a job. you need to look respectable at all times when your at work.


its easy enough though to get tattoos in places that are easy to hide. on your back, shoulders, bum, lower neck. heaps of places that can be easily hidden. working at a school your unlikly to be getting around in tank tops and mini skirts anyways, so hopefully if you have heaps of tats they wont be visable.
I think most communities (note I said most) realize that teachers are real people. As long as you don't get a skull and crossbones on your forehead I think you should be ok. Really research the community first though. If you are going to teach in a prudish community, or even a very conservative (anti-eastern thought yin yang sort of thing) you may want to reconsider.
Go for it if you can cover them. If you hav tatoos then you make the kids think that it is okay to have tatoos, which it is not necessary bad, but they need to choose that for themself and be at the right age.
I'm a early childhood educator (and a mum of 13 year old girl) and I HAVE two tattoos! Placed strategically, you'll be fine. Mine are on my lower back and the back of my neck. It also depends on where you are. Where I am (New Zealand) the rule is quite relaxed, so long as it's not in-your-face kind of tattoo. Mine are quite small and dainty (pretty, if you like). Careful with what you choose and good luck. I'm getting another one done on my right upper arm soon.
You can get more tat's if you want. Just make sure that if you want a sophisticated look than get makeup that is your skin tone and cover it up. Their is also a type of makeup to cover tat's up.
If your going to get them where people can see them, like your arms, neck, hands, in the middle of your chest, etc. Then really think about it, you will have a hard time getting a job as a teacher, due to the fact it is not acceptable to have tattoos in that profession, because you are dealing with children and you will be sending out a negative message to them if they are fascinated by tattoos, they might have someone under age put a homemade tattoo, not thinking of the evil consequences of HIV, and Hep C, due to lack of educating our youth about tattoos.





I worked for an elementary school, and that does not fly well around teacher staff, actually they criticize people that have tattoos, they think it is tacky and low to put ink on their bodies, and how ridiculous they will look when they get old...





If you like them that much get them where they can be covered up. I like tattoos myself, but have to think about the consequences having them...GOOD LUCK!!!
dont expose the tattoos when you are on job
as long as they can be hidden with normal clothing, you should be ok. i work at a school and these days lots of teachers have tattoos. as long as its not on your wrist or neck or something like that.
You probably shouldn't get tattoos that you can't cover up for work all the time.
I don't see any problem with it personally. I think as long as they are in good taste and can be covered up, then go for it. All of mine are easily covered, but easily shown if I want. I work in a professional career, and I have 6 of them. Unless I wear a skirt, people would never know I had any.


I say go for it, but think it through about placement and content first.
F*ck it! maybe find out some guidelines for the district that you might work in, make sure it's not too inapropriate, then go for it! it is your body, and in this time we should all be able to get whatever we want on our bodies and not have to worry about getting/keeping a job. Hey, you can get the alphabet across you arm and teach the children!!! have fun, good luck with the decision!
it is!!! I would not want you to be my child's teacher if your tattoos are visible to public + your chances to get hired will significantly drop.





Just don't expose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment