Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bad advice on a nurseline!!?

This past weekend while on vacation I had a bout of food poisoning. I tried to call my dr's office to see what I could take but the number was disconnected (apparently they changed their number while I was on vacation and didn't tell anyone!) I read the back of a bottle of pepto bismol and it said to consult a dr before using--but even tylenol says that on it so that didn't help. My insurance company has a 24 hour nurse line so I called it and asked the nurse if it was safe to take it. She said yes-just not more than 4 doses in a day. Well Im terrified to take anything anyway so I only took one dose....but now that Im back I just checked onlilne and everything Im finding says NO it's not safe!!! Ach!! Here I was terrified that the dehydration from diarreha was going to hurt the baby and I may have inadvertantly done worse! Im 20 weeks, so Im hoping that Im not at major risk for birth defects at this point, especially just from one dose--but the guilt is still there. Anyone have a medical professional say it was ok to use pepto while pregnant? I plan on making a serious complaint! Bad advice on a nurseline!!?
I have a list of SAFE medicines for pregnancy right here that my OB/GYN gave me. : ) Pepto is on that list as SAFE...so I think you'll be OK. The list also says that for Diarrhea you can take Imodium and Kaopectate. For indigestion, Tums, Mylanta, Maalox, Gaviscon and Pepto are all safe during pregnancy.





I'm with you though, I try and avoid taking anything. I have also heard that with food poisoning it's best to let your body get rid of it naturally rather than taking something to stop you up. You should talk to your doctor too for reassurance. : )Bad advice on a nurseline!!?
I know people who have been suggested pepto by their OB's!


I honestly thought it was ok too.





But don't purely rely on what the internet says.


Usually a doctor will tell you to use it, only if the benefit of it outweighs the risk.
at my first prenatal app they gave me a sheet with safe otc meds and pepto is on there so nothing to worry about!
i did with my son and he is fine. you should be fine
Pepto is a ';class C drug'; which means its relatively safe for pregnant women, but should be taken under your doctors care to safe guard you from any problems. Will the fact that you're taken it this once because you had food poisoning? No. If you took it a few times a week/every day for a few months? Possibly. Generally, people will tell you to stay away for c class drugs because they do carry a very minor risk. Taking it once or twice in your pregnancy is no where near the levels you need to worry about, so the nurse line you called was correct. (You weren't asking them if you could take it often - they most likely would have told you no then.)





I would say that it might have been nice for the nurse on your call line to mention that its only safe occasionally... but technically the answer you were given was correct.





http://www.drugs.com/cons/pepto-bismol.h鈥?/a>
Pepto is on my safe medication list that I got from my Dr. too! There are a lot of things on the internet that are old wives tales or outdated information. It can be tough to determine what is true and what is not.


When I took all the classes about childbirth and newborn care, there were a lot of questions like this because of things people had found on the internet. The nurses leading the classes said that the best way to go would be to only take advice like that from websites ending in .org.


.com websites often have bad information. I do read a lot on babycenter.com though, but otherwise I'm very careful about which sites I'm looking at.


I'm sure your baby will be fine!! :)
if you only had one dose im sure it wont hurt your baby.. or do any harmful defects or anything, you shouldnt feel guilty becuz you were cautious and did try to call your doctor and you did call the nurseline... I am sure your baby is just fine.. dolet your doctor knoww that you called the nurseline and they did tell you can take it, see what your doctor saysabout it, sometimes online info is a little questionable i would ask your doctor next time you go in and see him, thats your best bet to get an honest answer.. hope all goes well take care

No comments:

Post a Comment